Healthy living strategies are something to practice throughout our lives, but they
become more significant as we age. Fortunately, the following tips include some of the best immune system boosters and ways to stay healthy as a senior citizen in New York:
- Visit a Farmers’ Market for fresh fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins C and E, beta-carotene and zinc, which are essential to good health.
- Challenge yourself by joining a Zumba class or a Free Local Exercise class in your area.
- Attend Health Fairs to gain insider knowledge on maintaining your health.
- Take actions to Reduce Stress. Whether it’s social stress, isolation or another form, stress can suppress your immune system, making you more susceptible to viruses.
- Sufficient Sleep is one of the best natural immune system boosters. Sleep helps us respond better to stress and inflammation. It’s also shown to improve our response to the flu vaccine.
- Try Some Superfoods. Kale, broccoli, avocados, certain mushrooms, berries and others have shown to improve seniors’ immune system performance.
- Stay positive by keeping up with activities and hobbies that make you feel happy or challenged. A healthy outlook on life boosts endorphins.
- Consider Multivitamin or Herbal Supplements as an option for increasing nutrients and fighting infections. Talk to your doctor before adding multivitamins or herbs, such as echinacea, ginseng or probiotics, to your regimen.
- Stay Hydrated by drinking at least 8-9 glasses of water a day to keep mucous membranes moist, which lowers the chances of flu or colds.
- Springtime in New York is the perfect time to dine out. Make sure to make healthy choices when ordering from your favorite restaurants.
-Les B. Freeman