- 12 ounces whole-grain fusilli or rotini pasta
- 1 medium asparagus spears (trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 6 ounces snow peas (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 2 medium green onions (sliced)
- 1 1/2 medium avocados (halved, pitted, diced)
- Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt.
- Two minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the asparagus and snow peas to the boiling water. Transfer the cooked pasta mixture to a colander. Run cold water over the pasta and vegetables to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and honey. Stir in the carrots, bell pepper, green onions, and pasta mixture.
- You can serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to chill. If serving immediately, stir in the avocado. If chilling, stir in the avocado just before serving.
From American Heart Association, heart.org/healthyforgood