Typically loaded with heavy cream and butter, shrimp and grits is a Southern favorite. This quick version swaps in cauliflower rice mixed with creamy coconut milk and cheddar cheese for a smooth “grits” base topped with garlic shrimp.
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add half of the garlic and the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink, about 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from skillet and set aside.
- In another skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the corn, onion and remaining garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the cauliflower rice, paprika, jalapeño, spinach and coconut milk and stir. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cheddar cheese and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Season with the salt and black pepper to taste. Garnish with red-pepper flakes, if desired, and basil.
- 3/4 cup
Saturated Fat: 4g